2017 Audi A4 Allroad Quattro Handles Snow Like A Champ - B9 Audi A4 Forum

#1 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 01:27 PM

(Thread Starter)
2017 Audi A4 Allroad Quattro Handles Snow Like A Champ

Auto 123 had the chance to put a 2017 Audi A4 through its paces and the Quattro ultra AWD system shines in the snow.

While most drivers won’t notice a difference, the vehicle’s driver assistance systems and traction technology are hard at work keeping them safe. Need to brake on an icy stretch of road or highway? The ABS system will kick in and you won’t even feel the pedal vibration and clicking that’s the norm when it engages. Even if there’s only ice on one side of the vehicle, the Audi A4 allroad Quattro will compensate for the uneven traction and bring the car to a straight stop.

Perhaps the A4 just happens to slip or slide on some slush. The predictive operating system activates quattro in a matter of milliseconds and the stability control system kicks in without an aggressive feel. Once the vehicle is steady again, the AWD system will pull you forward with no wheel spin, shifting, or jerky movements.

No matter what wintery situation the A4 gets into, the quattro drive is always ready even if its driver is not. The system is always analyzing driving dynamics, road conditions and driver behavior in order to react in a few fractions of a second. Of course a nice set of winter tires is a given.
#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 02:14 PM

The non-pulsating pedal for the ABS system will be a great thing for a lot of people. People tend to panic when they feel it step in or hear the whirring of it. Would love to be able to put it through it's paces and see what it really feels like.

The smooth behavior of the Quattro system is really enticing.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:03 PM

I kind of liked that pulsating feedback ABS gave you because it triggers you to also act in line with what its trying to do, but of course when aiming for mass appeal on a high end luxury German car, as the years go on that just doesn't cut it. Coming from the vehicles i've been used to, i'll have to get used to just looking at an ABS light.

Mind you i'm a pro at winter driving so ABS pulsating feedback was BIG.

#4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:13 PM

The only reason I'm not worried about feeling the ABS is because I don't think it's necessary. You'll feel when it's slipping and once that light comes on you know it's functioning. Smoothness is a crucial thing in the luxury segment, this just makes things a whole lot better.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:33 PM

That's a good point but I just think with some mainstream Audi that would be a good thing to have. Now if we're talking about an A8 or Q7 then by all means it should be smooth. Plus its one more way they can seperate those lower end Audis from the higher end ones in the line up.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 01:36 PM

If implementing this tech into the lower ends results in a noticeable price increase in the lower end models than I would say definitely keep it to the A7 onwards and those in the field. It's something a lot of people, including myself would have to get used to which may be slightly more difficult because how often are you put in a situation where the ABS kicks in.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 03:49 PM

I really can't remember the last time I was driving and ABS had to kick in to be honest.

Aside from that, the lower end models can benefit from it, however they won't give that much leverage as it's not a performance aspect that gets noticed.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails View Post
I really can't remember the last time I was driving and ABS had to kick in to be honest.

Aside from that, the lower end models can benefit from it, however they won't give that much leverage as it's not a performance aspect that gets noticed.
Well driving habits play into it a lot so I guess you do a lot of smooth braking and keep a consistent pace. It's usually the people that drive hard and brake hard that come across ABS engagement more often.

Aside from that winter conditions will increase the odds but even habits play into that unless you're running some super sporty tire.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:16 PM

There definitely are times in the winter time when I've experienced ABS jump in right at the last little bit of stopping. Didn't feel it was necessary but I guess the system read it as ABS required. It would've been a lot nicer if it wasn't such an audible sound and weird feeling in the pedal.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNine View Post
There definitely are times in the winter time when I've experienced ABS jump in right at the last little bit of stopping. Didn't feel it was necessary but I guess the system read it as ABS required. It would've been a lot nicer if it wasn't such an audible sound and weird feeling in the pedal.
A situation like that might be because of tires since tires play into braking distance, hence why I go with what the dealership recommends as that often is information coming down from some brand engineer.

With all the money spent on R&D and selecting the right tires, it hard not to go the pre-defined route.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the B9 Audi A4 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page