Audi A4 Long-Term Test Part One - B9 Audi A4 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Pdaugh

#1 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 02:12 PM

(Thread Starter)
Audi A4 Long-Term Test Part One

AutoGuide managed to book a 2017 Audi A4 for long term testing, spanning the fall and winter months, and theyíve published the first of what will probably be a series of reviews.

Theirs is packing a 252 hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo engine thatís pumping out 273 lb-ft of torque and itís paired with a seven-speed dual clutch automatic transmission. All that power sent to its Quattro AWD system is enough to push the A4 from 0 to 60 mph in less than 6 seconds or 100mph in 6 seconds flat.

For those of you who prioritizes fuel efficiency over power, there are two front-wheel drive options to choose from. One of them is a 2.0T pushing out 190 hp and 236 lb-ft, for an expected fuel economy rating of 37 mpg highway, 27 in the city and 31 combined. The other option is to go with the 252 hp 2.0T, but with FWQ instead of AWD. That will give you a slightly better rating of 33 mpg highway, 25 in the city and 28 combined.

Not much has changed in terms of design compared to the A4ís later iteration, just a bit of nip and tuck, but it is larger than before. There are some standard exterior features thatís worth mentioning including a set of 17-inch wheels, xenon headlights, sunroof and a rearview camera. The inside will be sporting power front seats, leather upholstery, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay and a USB ports.

We can expect to read more about their experience driving the new Audi A4 in the next long-term test review.
#2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 09:20 PM

It's more of an introduction on their part than an outright review. Since they have it on loan for a long period of time, maybe they can take the Audi A4 on a winter road trip.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:21 PM

This is just a spec sheet/pricing chart along with what's updated. Hopefully we'll get some good information on how it fares in their winter commutes with this as that'll be the information people want to see.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 03:43 PM

You know what they say about changing something that ain't broke, right?

Audi did the right incremental changes here, definitely no need to do anything drastic as that can be counter productive. Only when the A4 really sucks can they warrant big changes. A good example is Lexus, they had to go from offering old man Buicks to Japanese vehicles almost as fun and sporty as its now German competition.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:24 PM

Heck, I would even go as far to say that the Lexus' now are more fun than their german counterparts. Just because you know they can put up with abuse and it won't cost as much in damages as the germans would.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNine View Post
Heck, I would even go as far to say that the Lexus' now are more fun than their german counterparts. Just because you know they can put up with abuse and it won't cost as much in damages as the germans would.

That's your take of fun. But to someone else how much more nimble, driver focused, refined, luxurious, etc. German cars feel in comparison to their Japanese counter parts is truly fun, the downsides (cost, maintenance, etc.) don't even get on their radar.

Lexus still has a way to go, but more importantly as a brand they have momentum.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:55 PM

German vehicles definitely are more refined and quite the bit more luxurious in almost every occasion when paired against a competitor from the Japanese market. Lexus definitely has a lot of support in the aftermarket area though obviously because, Japan. They feel like completely different vehicles when you drive either or though. Different suspension setups i.e MacPherson strut vs Double Wishbone setups on the front ends.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:13 PM

My first German car is now an Audi A4 2017 Prem+. Love it but my wife hit a pot hole and ruined the tire, but the good news is it did not bend the rim. Made me thinking perhaps the lower profile 18" tires are not a good choice for Colorado roads. Can't afford new tires every 6 months over the long term. Any suggestions for tires and rims that are a little more pot hole resistant?

Also, the tires are down 2/32 from the starting depth. How far can you go down before you need to replace all 4 tires instead of just one?
BN1NE and Tails like this.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdaugh View Post
My first German car is now an Audi A4 2017 Prem+. Love it but my wife hit a pot hole and ruined the tire, but the good news is it did not bend the rim. Made me thinking perhaps the lower profile 18" tires are not a good choice for Colorado roads. Can't afford new tires every 6 months over the long term. Any suggestions for tires and rims that are a little more pot hole resistant?

Also, the tires are down 2/32 from the starting depth. How far can you go down before you need to replace all 4 tires instead of just one?
If probably has what's defined as performance tires and those are really best for ideal road conditions like down in the southern states. What you want to look for are regular tires. I know that's a very broad answer but it helps to start with the class of tire then narrowing down on brand, model, etc.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:17 PM

The difference between the tires shouldn't exceed 3/32 of an inch between all four tires. So once you get the exact same size and tire, you'll be good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the B9 Audi A4 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page