2017 A4 prem + tires - B9 Audi A4 Forum

#1 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:25 PM

(Thread Starter)
2017 A4 prem + tires

My wife took a pot hole with 11K on the car. Luckily the 18 inch rim is not damaged but the tire sidewall is destroyed. Had to wait about a week for a new tire from Pirelli since they were out of stock everywhere and I mean everywhere. A couple questions.

1. How far can I drive on the spare if needed in the future?
2. AWD is new to me and I just learned I have to get the exact same tire and it has to be within 3/32s depth of the existing tires? Is that right
3. If #2 is true then I have to basically replace all four tires if it exceeds that amount?
4. I love the performance however are there rims and tires I can replace that might be a little more user friendly? I'll give up a little cornering for better pot hole resistance.
5. That said, the car goes faaaassssttttt and the wife loves it!

All suggestions welcome please
#2 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:09 PM

I know for a fact that spare tires are only meant to get you to a service station but under a situation like what your dealing with I don't see a problem with pushing it till you can all the tires you actually need. I just would stick to local roads. But that's the safe way around it, if you absolutely need to drive on the highway then consult your Audi Dealer and/or even a reputable wheel/tire shop
#3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:41 PM

With AWD systems, all four wheels have to have the same dimensions, tires, etc. The tire threads should be kept as close together as possible as well. You can do drivetrain damage if one wheel is off.

Glad to hear you guys are loving the A4 though !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the B9 Audi A4 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page