2017 Audi A4 Ultra Has A Gas Sipping 31mpg Rating - B9 Audi A4 Forum

#1 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 02:52 PM

(Thread Starter)
2017 Audi A4 Ultra Has A Gas Sipping 31mpg Rating

First seen on the diesel-powered A3 in 2013, Audiís Ultra label is used on their most fuel efficient models in the range and that title has now been applied to the 2017 Audi A4.

The last Ultra model was limited to Europe only but it will finally hit United States showrooms and the A4 Ultra is estimated to deliver a combined fuel economy rating of 31mpg (7,5 l/100km). According to Audi, that puts the Ultra variant above its competition in the segment including the BMW 320i, Mercedes-Benz C300, Lexus IS 200t, and even their own regular 2017 A4 which only has a combined fuel economy rating of 28 mpg.

Its fuel sipping nature can be attributed to the A4 Ultraís 2.0-liter TFSI petrol-powered engine. Yes, this engine is based on the one used in the base level A4 but Audi had changed its compression ratio from 9.6:1 to 11.7:1 thus improving the engineís fuel efficiency. While the fuel efficiency increase, the engineís power saw a slight decrease from 252 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque in the standard model to 190 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque.

If you donít mind switching out a bit of power for more fuel efficiency then the A4 Ultra can be yours for a starting price of $35,850 and thatís for the Premium models. Premium Plus Models costs a bit more with a starting price of $39,650, quite a deal considering that trims like these usually starts at $38,250 and $42,050 respectively.
#2 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:43 PM

It's really not that bad of a trade off for that kind of fuel economy. Quite suprised the is200t is getting that kind of consumption. I thought it would be a lot better considering the downsized turbo motor
#3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 12:42 AM

That's a huge drop in power and some people may not be willing to make the trade-off. It's around a 60 hp drop, you may be looking at the numbers and thinking it's not a lot but you'll be able to feel the difference.

#4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:33 PM

If your really that concerned about fuel economy, you're really not in the market looking for performance though. So for that.. select few people.. this would be pretty good.

Me personally, no way would I take that much of a drop in power, but that's because I'm an enthusiast and I like to have fun.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 01:52 PM

exactly that's where hybrids come in and at this rate we should expect it this time around from Audi with the A4 or on a similar level. If not there are alternatives, although for those loyal to Audi it won't be that easy of a move.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 12:58 PM

Considering they have the A3 E-Tron, it'll be a simple carry over to the A4 so only a matter of time. 1.4L + battery would be great in the A4 for those worried about fuel consumption. 150hp isn't so bad for the commuter lifestyle.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:34 PM

It would although some changes in power might be required so they can keep the power to weight ratio up, just to make sure its not sluggish and feeling slower than its competitors since with Audi there are certain expectations around them.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:14 PM

That is also very true, I didn't take that into consideration. Now this is where things have to get interesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the B9 Audi A4 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page